VMware vSphere® Hypervisor is a free bare-metal hypervisor that virtualizes servers so you can consolidate your applications on less hardware.
- Minimum: single socket, dual core
- Ideal: dual socket, four or more cores per CPU
- Minimum: 4GB
- Ideal: 8GB or more
- Minimum: one network adapter, plus one for management interface
- Ideal: one network adapter for management interface, plus multiple adapters for virtual machines
Local Storage (SATA/SAS)
- Minimum: one 80GB drive
- Ideal: two mirrored drives, plus four RAID 5 drives for virtual machines
- NFS, iSCSI or Fibre Channel for virtual machine storage
- Unlimited number of cores per physical CPU
- Unlimited number of physical CPUs per host
- Maximum vCPUs per virtual machine: eight
- Limitation of 32GB RAM limit per server/host has been removed from the free Hypervisor.
- Operating system support: Microsoft OS (18 versions), Linux (54 versions), Mac OS X 10, Solaris, FreeBSD, etc. (See a complete list of supported versions.)